What Benefits Am I Entitled To?

Can't work due to health issues or any other reason? Need financial help, advice and support? There is help out there, but navigating through the difficult benefit system can often be confusing and daunting. Let us help.


What Benefits am I Entitled to if I’m Unable to Work?

Being in a situation where you’re unable to work can often be scary and stressful, especially if you’re low on income and have outgoings and bills to pay or other financial responsibilities, but don’t fear there is help.

If you’re in a rush and want to find what benefits you may be entitled to take Citizen’s Advice’s Quick Benefits Assessment.

If you’re unable to work then you may be entitled to benefits and financial help and support from the UK government. Depending on your circumstances will be dependent on how much you’re entitled to.


If you’re unable to work due to parenting you may be entitled to Income Support & Child Benefit. This is especially helpful if you’re a long parent and are unable to work as their is no one else to help with child care.


If you’re caring for someone full time due to ill health or a disability, you may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance, if you have a successful claim for Carer’s Allowance you may then be entitled to also claim Income Support as well.

Ill Health

If you’re unable to work due to ill health or a learning disability then you may be entitled to claim Employment Support Allowance and PIP (Personal Independence Payment).

Redundancy, Sacked or Quit?

If you’ve recently been made redundant, been dismissed or have decided to leave your job, you may be entitled to Job Seeker’s Allowance. This benefit is best applied to people who are looking for work and none of the above apply to their circumstances. It aims to help out financially while you search for another job.

Universal Credit

The government recently decided that having all of these separate benefits was confusing and unhelpful, as such they have released a gradual role out of what is called Universal Credit. This benefit replaces all the above benefits and has different rates depending on your circumstances.


Benefits can be very confusing, due to ever changing legislation it can be difficult to know what you’re entitled to and how much, luckily there’s a website called Turn2us if you have some time you can go on their website and fill out their benefit calculator which will tell you if you’re eligible to claim benefit, if so which benefit and how much you’re likely to get. You can complete the benefit calculator here.

Universal credit is paid monthly instead of weekly or fortnightly like most other benefits. Universal credit also aims to include money for your housing benefit and council tax if you’re eligible for those benefits, this means that you will now be responsible for receiving your own rent and council tax and paying this yourself.

The aim of this was to give people an idea of what it’s like to be working and get them used to the monthly pay and responsibility of paying their own bills/rent just like they would if they were working.

I’m still really confused!

Benefits is a difficult area because there’s so many factor that come into play on whether you’re eligible to claim and let’s be honest every case is unique and individual in it’s own right!

That being said if you need any individual help, advice and support from a professional then we highly recommend heading on over to Citizen’s Advice and finding your local center, book and appointment and get 1<>1 help and support and help to claim.


If you live outside of the UK or you need any further help and support, please head on over to our Community Forums and signup. It’s FREE of charge and you may be able to get help, advice and support from others who live outside of the UK. We can also offer more individual based advice once we know your personal circumstances.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.